19 June 2009

Replace gay *here*

In the 1945 movie "The Lost Weekend," Ray Milland's character is struggling with writers block. In the book it was based on, it has him struggling with his homosexuality. The 'guy' movie "300" never hints King Leonidas was a homosexual like the real one and that the Spartans were notorious for their same sex love (ironic that the army to finally defeat the Spartans were lead by a homosexual, General Epaminondas).

These movies are just two out of the many books, scripts and plays that Hollywood has "straightened," for easy consumption by a "straight" mainstream audience.

Off the top of my head I can name several popular films that have gone through the whitewash:

"The Martian Child" starring John Cusack. The gay David Gordon is turned into a straight widower.

"The Krays" starring Gary and Martin Kemp and "Dead Ringers" starring Jeremy Irons. In each, one of the twin brothers are turned from gay (both movies are based on real people) to straight.

"Enigma" starring Dougray Scott and Kate Winslet. The heterosexual
hero Tom Jericho played by Dougray, is based on gay enigma code breaker Alan Turing.


Like I said, these are just the ones off the top of my head. I wonder how many more I would find if I bothered to take the time to do some serious looking.

Now it's not to say Hollywood hasn't made films that don't have drag queens, gays with AIDS, swishy men for comic relief, sexual predators, titillating lesbians, or homosexuals dealing with some kind of struggle or persecution in some form. I think the film is called "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" starring Val Kilmer, but don't quote me on that. I just think they forgot to drop a plane full of grenades and tacks on him in the final scene (check the DVD).

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "A beautiful mind", "Midnight Express", "Maltese Falcon", "The big sleep" (some are main character gay, others side, but important, characters). Well, back to work!

    ReplyDelete

I eat your comments with jam and butter.