28 September 2011

Paletas

I'm waiting outside the gate of Universal Studios and a Mexican man rolls up with his ice cream cart, a common site around the shitty parts of the San Fernando Valley. He's looking at me thinking; "I'm pushing this cart in a hot burning sun that's holding ice cream and I still don't know how they're not melting, so why don't buy an ice cream from this magic cart so I can go home and watch Luche Libre wrestling?" He's not just selling ice cream mind you, he's selling paletas. The amazing Mexican popsicles that come in flavors like cucumber with mint, sweet corn, tequila with grapefruit, and avocado. I get the J√≠cama with lemon and chili with big chunks of jicama giving me a chilly/sweet/spicy afterburn down my throat, a popsicle actually turned me on, and like a Mexican Mary Poppins, he was gone on an ill wind before I had a chance to say; "mucho gracias pendejo, ahora me dan mi cambio (thanks a lot brainless, now give me back my change)." Others have found the secret to paletas and ran with it. I know this, if I wish really hard sitting inside of an Ernie's Taco House (the one on Riverside Drive) holding a jalapeno, stem side down, I'll see my little Mexican man and his magic cart selling his chillone delicadezas on a stick, and I'll remember you that Summer.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a beautifully racist and yet poignant sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole family are beaners that live in a hut made out of spit and guava leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family owns a palatial trailer two stories high made entirely of mostly empty beer cans and used prophylactics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you kill all my other followers? I think they done croaked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the ones with glittery vests on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello!

    i dont know if you remember me because it's been a while since i sent you a message. i'm karina (the mexican) from vox a.k.a mexicanrobot.

    how have you been frank?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I forget you Chica?! Where did you disappear to? Last I read you were in love and maybe having his babietos (I read alot into things).

    Did you already go see to Hostess?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hidden in a strange place called San Diego, for two years. I found me an ex-soldier and i'm not having anybody's babies because since i saw that movie "alien" i think they're all bloodthirsty and they want to suck my guts out (which is generally true), i also don't believe people should reproduce anymore. i mean really, when the zombie apocalypse comes I wanna be able to claim the oxygen i have the right to for living in this planet for 23 years.

    By the way, you missed my birthday on June. Boo... you owe me one of those pepino and chili flavored cupcakes or whatever the fuck you're into at the moment.

    sorry for the foul language. i'm just happy to talk to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you out of TJ for good, living with the jarhead in SD? In good health? Your next Birthday I'll send you one of my sister's food experiments (stand at least arms length when you open the box just in case it cocooned into something...maybe it's better if you just call the Police when it arrives). Russ told me to tell you he's happy to hear from you. Out of the clear blue he's asked me; "Have you heard from Karina?" over the years (it's been like, what, two years?) Check out my past blog posts, good things, mostly bad things, I really got fucked-up this year. I don't hit my blog everyday, so after 3 days my blog comments are automaticly moderated, I'll answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell Russ I say hello :)

    I'm still living in Tijuana because it's cheap, and no, I don't live with the Jarhead because even though he wants me to move in with him, he wants to go back to South Carolina (he's not from there but he lived there for a couple years and he likes it better than Cali) I said no, I wouldn't move to SC because it's like telling him to move in with me to Mexico City.
    What am I gonna do in South Carolina anyway? I'm so politically incorrect that I would get banned from bars and restaurants for trying to imitate a southern accent and randomly calling people rednecks and after that apologizing saying I have Tourette's.

    ReplyDelete

I eat your comments with jam and butter.