01 March 2009

Huell Howser

It’s rare when I stare at the TV and don’t believe what I’m seeing; Huell Howser is that thing you have to pinch me to bring me back to my senses from.

Mr. Howser has been doing a public access show on cable for the past somewhat 15 years where he visits local southland destinations. If it’s remotely of interest, you can bet Huell will run the other way. Why would he go to the museum of neon art when he can visit the twig museum (true)? Or visit the Pan-Asian festival when he can visit an elderly Armenian man who speaks no English who makes his own yogurt and then has his camera man film him eating it for half of the show?

Huell is the bumpkin who drives the turnip truck that drops off other bumpkins. His “awe shucks” way of talking is like smacking me with violin strings sitting through one of his shows. He use to have a camera man named “Louie” who all of a sudden you don’t see anymore. My theory is Louie got drunk and tried to play grab-ass with Huell before falling into a stupor and it was goodbye for Louie. Many times Huell would tell him to get a shot of something (one time it was a bush shaped like a sofa) and the camera would stay on Huell. Louie’s fixation is all caught on film, not smart Louie.

Many see Huell Howser as an LA institution; I don’t see it, not from a guy who looks like he would say “big city folk” in private conversation.

I shouldn’t be too hard on him. He’s older now and I’m starting to see less and less of his childish child-like innocence on television, and most of the time it’s reruns of his old shows. I won’t miss him when he finally buys that corn acre in the sky, but I’ll say I did.




Follow up on his death: http://aholeboyfriend.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-effects-of-huell-on-gamma-rays.html

17 comments:

  1. oh you BIG MEANIE. i like huell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every girl I know loves him, every guy I know thinks he's a boob. I'm sure he's a blast at moonshine parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its ALL an act and he's gay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's an act, It's a tired one. I've heard the rumors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a big ole' homo boy with exactly as you say an aw shucks and gee wiz persona that is sometimes too much. I prefer a few glasses of vino with my gee wiz and I'm sorry to hear bout Louie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we laugh so hard when get to catch one of his shows, just the way he dresses and the creepy-perv-effeminted sort of way he speaks; we are planning to put together a drinking game about his shows.
    my friend's mom thinks he is the richard simmons and liberace of local california tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He loves to repeat what what just said to him, like we're so stupid we missed it the first time. My favorite episode is when the boobie went to a string cheese factory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Huell Howser. I'm sure he is speaking to children as well as to adults. He is smart at marketing also. He must be making lots of money off of the videos and DVDs he has made over the years. Yes, he appeals to school children with the California Missions series. He is just a naturally friendly guy! Thanks for everything Huell! You are loved by many. Especially women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huell will appreciate your thanks knowing the big reader of my blog that I know he is. You think Huell talks the way he does because he also wants to targets kids? He was doing his deal years before some school administrator decided to play his vids in classrooms to bore already bored kids. Women love him because he's the most non-threatening man on Earth, the fact he might be gay is just more icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats you are an ASSHOLE. Hmm let me see emulate Huell or you the ASSHOLE, Hmmmm I vote Huell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now he is gone. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never really thought about him being gay or not but who cares these days anyway. Repeating or Mirroring what someone says is a great way to let someone know your listening to them and helps with retention. We studied some of his shows both how to do things the right and wrong way while I was studying for my multimedia degree. Some people like his style and others don't. You're one of the ones that don't. By the way, I was taught a drinking game about his show over a decade ago. I have no idea how long she knew about it before teaching it to me and others. - - He recently donated his library of videos to Chapman University.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well he passed yesterday... you won't have him to kick around anymore...rest in peace, Huell Howser...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huell 'gee-whizzed' and 'goshed' his way to the bank . . . he knew his viewing demographic, developed a product people loved and had a successful career for over 30 years . . . he was and always will be 'amazing' . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I worked at KCET back in 1999, there were very few people working there and I am sure there still are today. I was able to see Huell Howser interview a couple of people outside the cafteria area and what a joke the guy is. I even had the chance to talk to him a few times very briefly and the guy was a typical Hollywood wannabe like all the other employees at KCET at the time. You know the type? they think they are important because they work at a sub par television station. All third rate phonies. trust me on that. Back then even people at the station were saying Louis Fuerte should have been hosting those shows, not Howser. From my understanding the consensus was Fuerte was better looking, more personable and real. Howser was seen as a hack. And, YES, his gee whizz attitude and accent were FAKE. I never heard him talk that way around the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous...I cry BS, I met him several times..he was as genuine a person as any person I've ever met. Totally, and NO ONE..I MEAN NO ONE could have pulled in the show and viewers that Mr. Howser did. NO ONE...Louie...Louie are you kidding me? There was only one personality that could carry that great show I've met dozens upon dozens of people who have gone on journeys of interest brought o us by him from his great show. My wife & IU have had many years of enjoyment. The guy was truly GREAT..the problem is HE WAS REAL..every one else here is phony. To lose a man like him..in reality it truly a sad thing.

    ReplyDelete

I eat your comments with jam and butter.