25 February 2009

The Smoke House

On my birthday Russ will surprise me with where he is taking me for dinner. My guess is Moonshadows, but I want the Smoke House for my night. The Smoke House is one of the few old style steak houses to survive the 50's, where dessert was flamed at your table along with your thin cigarette and maybe your polyester dress. Jack Parr hosted the Tonight Show from the Smoke House in 1956 and Bing Crosby made it his hangout. The garlic bread is without equal. Still trying to find out if the secret ingredient is meth, baby stem cells, or sweet memories of losing my virginity. Whatever it is, I'll water board torture anyone (only two people are said to know how to make it) to find out. Last time we were there I had the Lobster Thermador special with creamed spinach that had little to do with spinach and Russ had Prime Rib (end cut) and something else or another and some kind of dessert that had sugar tentacles, I didn't care, all I cared about was the orange tinted garlic bread filling my Happy Place when it came to the table late.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. I am hoping that's where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year Russ took me here:

    http://www.castawayrestaurant.com/burbank/index.html

    and the food sucked balls, they even forgot to sing me Happy Birthday.: (

    ReplyDelete
  3. that place is cool, but one tip. do not order the house wine. i swear it is just grape juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stick with dirty martinis and vodka tonics when I go out ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have a $100 gift card for the Steak House that we got as a wedding gift in 2006 and still haven't used it. I dunno why because ..yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Arnie Mortons $100 gift card that's collecting dust. Since you reminded me, I might go tonite.

    ReplyDelete

I eat your comments with jam and butter.